Looking at the genocide that took place in Rwanda, which claimed the lives of about one million people ( 20% of the population) in 1994, and also displaced about two million people, it’s really amazing to see where they are as a country in terms of development.
Not all African countries have achieved this. So, I have to compiled ten amazing facts about Rwanda some of which are my personal experiences ( two weeks in Rwanda). Here they are;
- COASTER BUSES: The use coaster buses for public transportation. This is a thirty two-seater with comfortable seats.
- FREE 4G WI-FI: Their coaster buses have free 4G Wi-Fi, which I thought was a joke until I decided to enter one of the buses.
- Dogs are used to search bags for prohibited contents before entering the gate of their Airport, while departing from the country.
- Power Supply is constant as I saw it seized for just 30 minutes in two weeks. At least, I did not hear the sound of a generator.
Photo: Night view of Kigali City, Rwanda shot by Labi Francis
- Security is very tight. Security checks takes place at every major building.
- Rwanda is extremely very clean, I think this is due to the fact that they don’t allow leather/nylon bags in their country. So when you go shopping, they give you paper bags, something like a big brown envelope to put your items.
Photo: Labi Francis with a paper bag after Shopping
- Rwanda is the second easiest place to do business in Africa according to World Bank Doing Business Ranking 2016.
- Rwanda is the first African country to produce laptops and use drones for health services
- They have their own airline called RwandAir with eleven planes in their fleet. Free Wi-Fi was available on the plane I boarded.
- They are really nice people. Tall beautiful ladies, handsome gentlemen, smart looking and very friendly security personnel. I was told people who get drunk at night, walking on the streets are taken to a safe place by the security personnel to enable them not to cause nuisance.
BONUS: There are a lot of business opportunities there; a driver told me they have only three shops that have Mercedes parts in the entire country. They are also very simple, I saw the president pass with a Range Rover Sport with his wife on an Audi together with five more security cars. Every other government official drives only one car.
Photo: President Kagame heading for a meeting in his car. Shot by Labi Francis.
They believe in being independent from international help which the call “Agaciro” the Rwandan spirit which means dignity. There are a lot of amazing things about this country but this is just a few.
It was really an awesome travel to Kigali, and I hope to visit again. Thanks to the Commonwealth Games Federation for the opportunity and also Miss. Ellen Barwise (CGF Regional Development Manager for Africa)
Photo: Night view of Kigali Convention Center. Shot by Labi Francis
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK
#Rwanda #Leadership #development #kagame